Have you accidentally deleted a valuable WhatsApp message? Or are you now and then forced to delete chats? Then you can probably still restore the files. How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages.
Read on after the ad.
How to get back deleted WhatsApp messages on Android
We chat on WhatsApp all day long. This is nice and handy, but not great for your storage space. If you erase WhatsApp chats every now and then, it’s helpful to know that the messages probably aren’t gone forever. How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages:
- Open WhatsApp on your Android smartphone;
- Tap the three dots at the top right and choose ‘Settings’;
- Go to ‘Chats’, select ‘Chat backup’ and check when the last backup was made;
Are your deleted messages still included? Then you can proceed to the next step.
- Close WhatsApp and delete the app from your phone;
- Download WhatsApp from the Play Store again;
- Install the app and enter the same phone number;
- When prompted by the app, choose to restore messages and media from a previous backup.
Now all your chats, photos and videos will be restored. Depending on how big these files are, this process can take from a few seconds to a few minutes. When restoring the backup, look carefully at the date and time.
→ Download WhatsApp in the Play Store (free)
Restore local backup
You can only recover deleted WhatsApp messages if you have made a backup in the past. The easiest way to do this is through Google Drive. Have you made a local backup? Then you need to do a little more effort to get back deleted WhatsApp messages:
- Connect your smartphone to a computer;
- Open the files from your phone and copy folder / WhatsApp / to your desktop;
- Delete WhatsApp from your smartphone;
- Download the app again and copy the folder from step 2 back to the device;
- Install WhatsApp and tap ‘Restore’ when prompted.
Don’t see a way to restore the old messages? Then the chats are probably permanently deleted. The best way to avoid this in the future is to set the automatic backup via Google Drive to ‘Daily’.
More about WhatsApp
Did you send a message that you later regret? Deleting a WhatsApp message is very simple. You can of course also withdraw sent messages afterwards. Are you concerned about your online safety? Check out our WhatsApp privacy tips for more anonymous apps.