Didn’t bring your friends to Signal, or just don’t like the WhatsApp alternative? In this article, we’ll show you how to safely delete the chat app from your smartphone and computer.
Read on after the ad.
This is how you delete Signal
WhatsApp is rampant at the moment, which is why people are looking for alternatives. Many find a new home in Signal. However, the privacy-conscious chat app is not (yet) nearly as popular as WhatsApp. Some therefore choose to delete Signal and go back to Facebook’s chat app.
You can delete the chat app via both smartphone and computer. First, we’ll explain how to remove Signal from your phone.
- Grab your Android smartphone and open the Signal app;
- Tap your profile icon at the top left of the screen;
- Choose ‘Advanced’ and select ‘Erase all your data’;
- Enter your country and provide your phone number;
- Confirm your choice by clicking on ‘Delete all your data’.
Signal will now start deleting your account. From this moment on, others can no longer reach you via the chat app. Are you also logged into other devices, such as an iPhone or laptop? Then you can no longer use the Signal app in these places either: your account has been deleted.
Delete Signal on computer
Don’t have your phone with you at the moment? You can also delete Signal from your computer, although you do need a phone to delete the profile completely.
First open the Signal application on your PC and go to ‘Preferences’. On Windows computers you will find this heading under ‘File’, on Macs it is directly in the Signal app. Then choose ‘Delete data’ and confirm your choice. Then you need to delete your Signal user data:
- Go to the computer folder where Signal is installed. Usually this is C: Users AppData Local Programs signal-desktop. Here, double click on the ‘Uninstal Signal.exe’ file and follow the prompts.
- Also delete the entire Signal folder from your computer. You will likely see this in the location C: Users AppData Roaming Signal.
Finally, you still have to disconnect your phone number. You do this by following the steps above via the paired smartphone.
Alternatives to Signal
You have now removed Signal: now what? The most obvious alternative is WhatsApp. After all, this chat app is by far the most popular. Aren’t you comfortable with WhatsApp being owned by Facebook, a company with a downright miserable reputation when it comes to privacy? Then you can also give Telegram a try. This chat app has hundreds of millions of users and is available on all platforms. Threema and Surespot are also well-known alternatives to WhatsApp.